Sunday 9 September 2007

Sing low and sweet



Do you remember when I earlier this year wrote about the desire of taking singing lessons? If you don’t, refresh your memory.
Well, desires are to be made true and I’ve been going to singing lessons now for few weeks.

I’ve loved every minute of it.

I’ve always hummed to myself, and occasionally sang out loud. Now I have a place where I can let the air drop down to my stomach and lift the voice in the air. The sensation is wonderful; the feeling of being able to produce a somewhat controlled sound is very satisfying.

I’m not training to be a Senior Idol, or to be a classical singer. I just want to learn to breathe in the right way while singing. I want to study my abilities to reach the high notes and how to descend to the lower levels of sound making.

My teacher is an angel, full of encouragement and joy. She lets me sing songs I like, evergreens by Gershwin, Porter, Carmichael, Ellington etc.
But not yet –first I have to practise more my pelvis muscles....

High notes are a nuisance because I have a natural born whiskey-cigarettes-nightlife voice (in truth I must admit that some of that huskiness of my voice is self afflicted, not solely natural born...). I made funny, frog-like sounds just the other evening, sliding my voice lower and lower while the teacher struck three chords from her piano. Down and down and down I went and finally she asked me: “How low can you get?”

Well, I’m going to find it out.

16 comments:

Trijnie said...

hope to hear you sing once, good luck singing makes happy. I like to sing whem I am alone and in the bathroom.

SusuPetal said...

Well, Griesmail, I think I'll spare you from hearing me singing!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done! When I was younger I sang a lot - at home... I dream of singing, I have a need in me to sing out loud. Good for you that you´ve done something to liven up a dream!

Mick said...

Since I was the singer in many rock 'n roll bands in my misspent youth, this is definitely a dream that I recommend. Well, I say that I was singing, it was more like growling and shouting ... and, I love that flickering image of the Red Haired Girl. :)

SusuPetal said...

Maybe you should do the same, Almamaria...???!!!

Oh, you're a pro, Mick! The red haired girl (not Charlie's love) is merely rehearsing:)

Kennethwongsf said...

Hey, when you feel you're ready for your online debut, you should record a few bars and post it as a Podcast.

SusuPetal said...

Well, that'll be the day, Kenneth! No way!

Peter said...

A wonderful story, wonderfully told!

I can see that you have clearly refused to give us a sample of the "result" here, but maybe if we all insist? We could of course first give you a few weeks more to reach perfection!

SusuPetal said...

Maybe a few more years, Peter:))

hpy said...

Where do you find the time? Working, blogging, drinking whisky, and now singing too!

Trijnie said...

Susu, I realy like, low broken voices, larded with smoke and whiskey. But please do your singing lessons, no sigarettes and whisky ;)

SusuPetal said...

Well, HPY, I nowadays don't drink whiskey that much, maybe the time is to be found there!


Griesmail, less whiskey and more singing, I'll try!

Elegia said...

Wow, it would be nice to hear you singing! I sing only in shower.

SusuPetal said...

You think it would be nice, Elegia...:)

Eleanor Vatsa said...

Nice! I'm one of those who can't sing and would like to learn. It was always my dream as a child to learn to play some instrument ang to sing but I wasn't let to any music classes so my dream is still unfulfilled. (Is that the right word?)

Right now I don't have money for singing classes (they are probably very expensive) but maybe some day before I die...

SusuPetal said...

Maybe some day, Araneida. Keep on to your dream!!!