Friday 15 June 2007

My Childhood Scene


In the photo gallery of my homepages, you’ll find some manipulated photos from Turku, the town I was born in. With these photos I’ve travelled back to my childhood (I’m so old that life was black and white back then, no Technicolor yet -as you can see from the photos, ha-ha). Going back to my roots has borne some stories, which I’ve published in my Swedish blog. The stories are not necessarily documentation of my childhood. Some of them have got the inspiration from a real memory, but the story has turned into fiction.



6 comments:

Mick said...

This is a wonderful manipulated photograph. I went looking through your b&w linked set and there are many, many more terrific images, Susu. I also went to the Turku site and went through one of the magazines I found there. It's been a pleasant morning learning a bit more about your part of the world.

SusuPetal said...

You are thorough, Mick! Respect!
Turku is a nice town. Although it's one of the biggest cities in Finland, it's pleasantly small. You can walk around easily and take photos.

Scribe of Salmacis said...

A lot of the photos are rather apocalyptic, as if after an a-bomb, or taken with a tank camera in the middle of a war-scene. Trees and roofs through distorted image, an empty street in frozen time. Works for me aesthetically.

SusuPetal said...

Maybe the strangeness of familiar surroundings shows in these photos? A scene you know by heart, since your childhood, but which isn't a part of your life today.
The result is both strange and familiar. Frozen moments of past and today?

Scribe of Salmacis said...

Perhaps it is the time stopped with the disappearance of everyday going-abouts: no parked car of the neigbour, a closed window where one always used to be open. A place uneasily become space.

SusuPetal said...

Perhaps.
It's a strange feeling.