Saturday 17 March 2007

The Joy of Finding


I can’t write stories that create landscapes of the mind. I don’t have a need to open up the soul of my characters with prolonged descriptions of their thoughts, their motives and their states of mind.

I believe in dialogue and the unspoken words that linger between the lines. I don’t like to read that somebody is angry, I don’t want to write what somebody is feeling. I want the readers to find out for themselves. I want to do the same –enjoy the sensation of realizing something that hasn’t been written in the book I hold in my hand.

Of course my realizations aren’t necessarily the same as the writer has meant it to be, but that doesn’t matter. The same goes when someone, who reads my story, finds meanings of which I hadn’t a clue while writing the text.

The joy of finding. In writing and in reading. That’s important for me and that’s why I believe in a minimum amount of words when telling a story.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Hemingway school? Or Finnish male modernists of the fifties? The so-called "klapi-proosa" is the ideal?

SusuPetal said...

For me, maybe, Remf. Maybe not ideal but my style.

Anonymous said...

The Ugric heritage pushes trough... "Spare your words, my girl, someday you might need them."

hpy said...

The joy of dreaming. For you, and for your readers.
Nobody has the same dreams.

SusuPetal said...

Hahhah, Remf, it's good to have words in the bank!

It's funny, HPY, that although people seem the same, their dreams vary so much.

Anonymous said...

TEST TEST

Anonymous said...

So now the censoring official has taken a break or gone home - you can get trough again. Was is because of the election?

SusuPetal said...

It could be because of the election, but I'm afraid Blogger is to blame -Blogger has decided in some blogs that the comments are not necessary at all and has therefore removed the possibility of commenting somewhere else.
But, not for a long time.

I didn't even notice this lack of free speech and writing, hope it's not going to come again.